With the chilly weather coming up, it's time for hot chocolate and marshmallows! This charming recipe will be the hit of your next skating or movie night party. It really is the perfect accent to your hot drink this chilly season!
Vanilla Bean Alphabet Marshmallows Ingredients:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 eggs whites (room temperature)
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scrapped, pod discarded (or 1 tsp vanilla paste)
3/4 icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup cornstarch
Alphabet cookie cutters
1. Grease with vegetable oil and line a 28 x 18cm cake tin.
2. In a saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup and sugar - bring to a boil until "soft-ball" stage or 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer
In the meantime, sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let dissolve
3. Remove the syrup from the heat, add the gelatin, and stir until the gelatin dissolves.
4. In a large stainless steel mixing bowl, whip the whites until soft peaks form and gradually add the syrup into the whites.
5. Add the scraped vanilla beans and continue whipping until stiff and the mixture cools slightly
6. Pour into prepared tin and leave to cool and set at room temperature (this will take 2-3 hours or overnight)
7. Combine icing sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl then lightly dust a clean surface with mixture and then turn out marshmallow on to surface
8. Dust all surfaces with icing sugar mixture9. Cut out shapes using alphabet cookie cutter, gently prying the marshmallows out of the cookie cutters
10. Toss each marshmallow in the icing sugar mixture to coat all surfaces
Try to cut out shapes without wasting too much of the marshmallow.
Leftover marshmallow scrapes can be cut into small pieces and dusted, then saved as mini marshmallows. Store in an airtight container.
Serve on it's own or with a cup or hot chocolate or another hot drink!
[Images & recipe from Raspberri Cupcakes]